"Take firm hold of instruction, do not let go;
Keep her, for she is your life."
We warn you that this video contains a LOT of numbers, but it's really good background if you're not familiar with the issue:
- Texas spends nearly $13k per student right now.
- Texas spends appox. $60 billion on K-12 education over the two year budget cycle.
- Each class of 20 kids = $250k
- "How many teachers do you know making a quarter million dollars per year?!?"
- Non-teaching staff growing 3x faster than students.
- Over $7 billion in additional expenses per year
- Is the purpose of the education system to train the next generation or to provide jobs for bureaucrats?!?
- Over the past 25(ish) years, the number of students has grown by about 30% while the number of bureaucrats has grown by OVER 450%.
- If you simply held the number of bureaucrats in line with the number of students, you could give every teacher a $22k raise (or you could cut property taxes).
- You could also eliminate the margins tax.
- School district debt undermines Texas economy and will lead to higher taxes down the line.
- Under the current system, school districts are building $60 million football stadiums.
- Local debt growing 2.5x faster than population.
- Vote no on just about every bond.
- "As long as schools are run by political entities, they are a source of political power."
- "No entity deserves a protected monopoly on educating our kids."
- "Politically administered adult jobs program."