Pastor Danny on the veracity of scripture:
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17
For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- All scripture is, literally, "God-breathed."
- Psalm 119 - The longest chapter in the Bible deals with the veracity of scripture.
- 3 reactions to scripture:
- Apathy - Never read it.
- Adoration - Begin every day with scripture
- If your Bible is worn out, you're probably not.
- Antipathy - Nothing new here
- Voltaire and Thomas Paine are obvious historical examples.
- The reason the 'secret gospels' aren't in the Bible is because they contradict everything we know about Jesus as a historical figure.
- Author's note: Pastor Danny doesn't mention this in the sermon, but it's also worth pointing out that the 'secret gospels' were written HUNDREDS of years later!
- The church included the cannon as scripture because it was ALREADY considered divinely inspired.
- Old Testament cannon was widely agreed upon by 300 B.C.
- Backed up by the Dead Sea scrolls.
- The cannon is closed because the apostles and close associates are dead.
- Prophecy: 450 OT scriptures that point to Jesus as Messiah written hundreds of years before He walked the earth.
- Archaeology: 20,000+ finds.
You can read Pastor Danny's sermon notes here.