Because John had said to him, “It is not lawful for you to have her.”
Jonathan Stickland gave the personal privilege speech below during last week's budget night; it's one of the best summations of Team Straus' lawlessness we've ever heard:
- "One of the most offensive things, and one of the most disgusting things, that I've ever seen in this body."
- "A vehicle was found to shut down debate on a very important issue that many of our constituents care about."
- "The people back at home...have a right, and an expectation, to know where every single one of us stand on every single issue."
- "This notion that we're somehow going to pull procedural maneuvers, and hide tough votes, or difficult votes, and hide where we may stand on an issue like the Texas Enterprise Fund, that that is somehow a good thing...."
- "Either we have rules in this house...or we don't."
- "All session long...I have been constantly cut off at the knees."
- "Bills, ideas, and amendments should live or die based on their merit."