This week, we could see action on several of our priorities in the Legislature:
SB 2 Relating to charter schools and home-rule charter school districts.
HB 3497 Relating to state savings and government efficiency through a taxpayer savings grant program.
- Status: Voted favorably out of House committee.
- Recommendation: FOR
- Comment: Will lift the cap on the creation of charter schools and create more choice.
- Additional Research: Lifting the cap on charters
- Call to action: Contact the calendars committee to schedule this bill for a floor vote.
HB 607 Relating to the phaseout and repeal of the franchise tax.
- Status: Public hearing scheduled for May 13th 11:30am NOTICE
- Recommendation: STRONGLY FOR
- Comment: Replaces SB 1575. This will save taxpayers millions and will give parents the freedom to choose the right education for their children.
- Research: It's Time for School Choice in Texas
- Call to action: Contact committee members to voice your support FOR this bill. \
Status: Placed on General State Calendar Recommendation: STRONGLY FOR
Research: Fixing the Texas Magin Tax
Comment: The franchise tax is more than a business income tax it's a revenue tax that punishes Texas businesses even if they loose money.