Representative Jonathan Stickland recently gave a fascinating talk at the N.E. Tarrant Tea Party about the lobby's highly advanced techniques for breaking conservative members down; this video is a must watch for anyone who wants to change state government:
- The lobbyists start calling you right after primary day.
- At the GOP convention, they start to physically separate you from the folks who elected you.
- Start inviting you to exclusive parties.
- An atmosphere of 'you're different now.'
- Being a state rep is 'psychologically different'; you can't prepare for the experience until you've lived it.
- Instantly invited to more dinners and parties than you could possibly attend.
- "The whole first month and a half is designed to suck you in; then you start dealing with legislation and that's when you REALLY meet the lobbyists." [Emphasis Ours]
- Leadership brings you in to negotiate by yourself; the process is designed to isolate.