"He who is often rebuked, and hardens his neck,
Will suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy."
[UPDATE: Austin Affordability has a fantastic write up here.]
In what has to be one of the all-time great acts of political chutzpah, last night Travis County Judge Sarah Eckhardy (D) gave the following speech following the defeat of the Travis County Courthouse bond:
- "Back in saddle" in 48 hours.
- "Low voter turnout" wasn't "rejection of the project" or the location.
- Author's Note: YES, it was.
- "It was a lack of interest in our democracy."
- Yadda, yadda, "justice."
- BTW, we LOVE the fact that Michael King of the Austin Chronicle was standing immediately behind Eckhardt.
Bottom Line: The tax revolt that sprung up in Travis County a couple of years ago won't go away until our local elected officials address the underlying issues.