We first came across this classic piece from Paul Harvey last year; today, we found the video:
- These were men of means; well educated.
- Punishment for Treason was hanging.
- Their names were kept secret for six months.
- "If they won this fight, they best they could expect was years of hardship in a struggling nation; if they lost, they faced a hangman's rope."
- Carter Braxton lost his home and property and died in rags.
- Thomas McKean was forced to move his family five times in five months.
- Thomas Nelson took out $2 million in debt (in 1780's dollars) and was never reimbursed.
- Five signers were tortured by the British.
- These were men of means who sacrificed everything.
- They pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor and they fulfilled that pledge.