The Woman, the Child, and the Dragon
"Now a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a garland of twelve stars. Then being with child, she cried out in labor and in pain to give birth.
And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great, fiery red dragon having seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems on his heads. His tail drew a third of the stars of heaven and threw them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was ready to give birth, to devour her Child as soon as it was born. She bore a male Child who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron. And her Child was caught up to God and His throne. Then the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, that they should feed her there one thousand two hundred and sixty days.
Satan Thrown Out of Heaven
And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."
Pastor Danny Forshee. Great Hills Baptist Church. March, 8 2015:
War in Heaven and Earth, Part 1 - Dr. Danny Forshee - March 8, 2015 from Great Hills Baptist Church on Vimeo.
- Chapters 12 to 14 tell the story from Satan's perspective.
- The woman
- The nation of Israel
- Garlands = 12 tribes
- Many Old Testament prophets use imagery of a woman in labor to refer to Israel.
- The dragon = satan.
- Wants to be worshipped as a god, but Jesus says "NO!"
- Israel bore the Messiah to rule the world with the Iron rod, and He was temporarily called up to heaven.
- Satan wants to accuse us to God and accuse God to us.
- vv. 7-8 describe a war that has yet to take place.
- Satan = "The master of deception with the uncanny ability to accuse people."