The World Mourns Babylon’s Fall
“The kings of the earth who committed fornication and lived luxuriously with her will weep and lament for her, when they see the smoke of her burning, standing at a distance for fear of her torment, saying, ‘Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! For in one hour your judgment has come.’
“And the merchants of the earth will weep and mourn over her, for no one buys their merchandise anymore: merchandise of gold and silver, precious stones and pearls, fine linen and purple, silk and scarlet, every kind of citron wood, every kind of object of ivory, every kind of object of most precious wood, bronze, iron, and marble; and cinnamon and incense, fragrant oil and frankincense, wine and oil, fine flour and wheat, cattle and sheep, horses and chariots, and bodies and souls of men. The fruit that your soul longed for has gone from you, and all the things which are rich and splendid have gone from you, and you shall find them no more at all. The merchants of these things, who became rich by her, will stand at a distance for fear of her torment, weeping and wailing, and saying, ‘Alas, alas, that great city that was clothed in fine linen, purple, and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls! For in one hour such great riches came to nothing.’ Every shipmaster, all who travel by ship, sailors, and as many as trade on the sea, stood at a distance and cried out when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, ‘What is like this great city?’
“They threw dust on their heads and cried out, weeping and wailing, and saying, ‘Alas, alas, that great city, in which all who had ships on the sea became rich by her wealth! For in one hour she is made desolate.’
“Rejoice over her, O heaven, and you holy apostles and prophets, for God has avenged you on her!”
Finality of Babylon’s Fall
Then a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone and threw it into the sea, saying, “Thus with violence the great city Babylon shall be thrown down, and shall not be found anymore. The sound of harpists, musicians, flutists, and trumpeters shall not be heard in you anymore. No craftsman of any craft shall be found in you anymore, and the sound of a millstone shall not be heard in you anymore. The light of a lamp shall not shine in you anymore, and the voice of bridegroom and bride shall not be heard in you anymore. For your merchants were the great men of the earth, for by your sorcery all the nations were deceived. And in her was found the blood of prophets and saints, and of all who were slain on the earth.”
Pastor Danny Forshee. Great Hills Baptist Church. August 9, 2015:
Commercial Babylon, Part 2 - Dr. Danny Forshee - August 9, 2015 from Great Hills Baptist Church on Vimeo.
- Remorse (vv. 9-19)
A. The Leaders (they had committed fornication).
B. The Merchants.
C. The Mariners.
- Rejoice (v. 20)- Isaiah 5:20
- God has avenged His people.
- Retribution (vv. 21-24)
- John 3:19
- The God who created everything will consecrate everything, and He is in control.
- Greed, opulence, and wealth all come to naught.
- Babylon's gonna make Donald Trump look 'miniscule.'
- There's nothing wrong with having wealth, the problem is worshiping it.
- Sin cannot win and Faith cannot fail...if you love Babylon, you are following a lost cause.
- Lots of Sex Trafficking right here in Austin.
- People loves to get all worked up over the internet outrage du jour, but our society doesn't seem to care about children being torn up in their Mama's womb.
- Since we know that this is truth, what are we going to do about it?!?
- Belivers need both confidence AND compassion.
- God vindicates the blood of His people.
- "The Devil was working on me, until...."