"As a dog returns to his own vomit,
So a fool repeats his folly."
Joe Straus spoke with the Trib earlier this week. We did not attend the event but did watch the video. You can see it for yourself below:
- "The President elect seems to be somewhat flexible."
- "A real opportunity" re: Medicaid and Trump.
- "There are no excuses now...[Republicans] need to perform."
- "You ask for the responsibility, you have to deliver.
- Author's Note: Save those two quotes for the next campaign season.
- Obamacare: "Won't be quickly dismantled."
- Education, transportation, water....
- Blah, blah, "water"....
- Spend more on Medicaid "for disabled children."
- "It will be addressed in our supplemental budget."
- Author's note: It's always about 'the children.'
- "We need to address school finance in a serious way."
- Blows smoke about school choice.
- House members don't support school choice.
- "Less money to spend."
- Property tax relief: "I don't know whether we can."
- For property tax relief "in a way that is thoughtful."
- Author's Note: "Thoughtful" is a word Republicans love to use when they're
- Supports "constructive" ban on sanctuary cities.
- "you have to be careful on what the words are."
- Author's Note: Sounds like he's setting up a toothless bill that allows Republicans to campaign on the issue but doesn't change much.
- Religious liberty: "Isn't the most urgent concern of mine."
- "I don't have any immediate plans to step down."
- Fun Fact: By the time the next legislative session convenes, Joe Straus will have outlasted George W. Bush, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Rick Perry, David Dewhurst, Barack Obama, and John Bohener...the parallels with Fidel Castro are starting to become striking.