"While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage."
2 Peter 2:19
House public education chairman Dan Huberty spoke with the trib yesterday. We actually thought the event was going to be Thursday morning thus we didn't attend...which is killing us because we wanted to ask him about superintendent salaries. Huberty's remarks speak for themselves:
- "I've worked the last 20 years to get here."
- Author's Note: Dude, you should be more ambitious.
- School finance fix will take multiple sessions.
- Long discussion of Robin Hood...but it's not going away any time soon.
- Parental education choice: "Can we move on to the next question."
- "I believe so, yes" in reference to question about whether or not its dead.
- Socialized education has "an accountability system."
- Something something "no accountability, no taxpayer responsibility."
- Author's Note: Deliberately obfuscates the fact that accountability in the marketplace comes from the fact that parents can choose to obtain services from a new provider.
- Blah, blah, blah...MOAR SPENDING!!!
- Something something 5.3 million children....something something "fix" the current socialized education system before exploring any sort of creative solution.
- Long discussion of STAAR tests. Huberty is not a fan. Duly noted that Huberty wants to impose arbitrary government "accountability" standards on parental choice while gutting accountability for the existing socialized education system.
- "Your responsibility as a chairman is to protect your membership" from taking a public position on an issue about which the voters care.
- "I think that the [socialized education] system we have has produced fruitful results."