"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour."
Cahnman's Musings understands that it's primary season. We understand tempers will flare. People will say things they later regret. But certain attacks need to be stopped dead in their tracks. The latest slander against YCT is one of them.
Writing at Big Jolly Politics, David Jennings invents a "controversy":
Sounds super-shady; Jennings then lists donations to YCT's PAC from YCT endorsed candidates.
Young Conservatives of Texas enter pay-to-play world
Unfortunately, the dates don't match.
- On October 23 of last year YCT endorsed Glenn Hegar.for Comptroller (over, it should be noted, a YCT alum). According to Jennings, Hegar's campaign gave YCT $7000 on January 22. For those of you keeping score at home, that's three months later.
- On October 28, YCT endorsed Wayne Christian for Railroad Commissioner. The corresponding "pay for play" transaction occurred on January 14. Again, that's two and a half months later.
- On November 11, YCT endorsed Sid Miller for Ag. Commissioner. Miller then gave YCT $7000 on January 14. Once again, that's over two months later.
- On December 19, YCT endorsed Dan Patrick for Lt. Gov. Patrick gave YCT $7000 on January 14. Again, that's nearly a month later.
- It's also worth noting that YCT has endorsed Ken Paxton for Attorney General but, at least according to Jennings, they haven't received a dime in return.
The key to 'pay for play' is that pay comes first; anyone who gives away the play before they get paid is, at a minimum, not very good at pay for play.
But why let facts get in the way of a lazy narrative....
Update: Steve Toth adds his two cents....
Steve Toth Sorry Joe Sager, you're wrong on Young Conservatives of Texas. Show me where they've taken money from candidates and in turn endorsed them. They've endorsed my campaign twice and I've never given them a dime. They've endorsed the vast majority of the folks in the House who score in the mid to high 90's with TFR and haven't given them any money at all. Can't argue with the rest of what you've said though. All the best!