“And to the angel of the church in Sardis write,
‘These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: “I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God. Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you. You have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”’
Pastor Danny Forshee. Great Hills Baptist Church. June, 8 2014:
- Identification (vv. 1-2, 4)
B. City -- You are protected unless you're arrogant.
i. Active practice of Emperor worship.
iii. Corruption - "Only a few have not defiled..."
- Commendation (vv 2, 4):
- "A few have remained faithful"
- One night a week for evangelism.
- The Church is basically dead in Europe and is dying in America.
- #1 sign of a dying Church: They no longer look outward; it's all about them.
- Seven spirits - Completeness of spirit.
- The physical conquering due to arrogance and complacency that had occurred twice in the history of the city was now happening spiritually to the Church at Sardis.
- The Church, like the city, was living in the past.
- "People gathered does not a Church make; it takes the Spirit of the Living GOD!!!"