“And to the angel of the church in Sardis write,
‘These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: “I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God. Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you. You have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”’
Pastor Danny Forshee. Great Hills Baptist Church. June 15, 2014:
- Commands (vv. 2-3)
A. Be Watchful
B. Strengthen that which remains.
C. Remember the Basics
D. Hold fast and be faithful
E. Repent perpetually in Sanctification
- Promises (vv. 4-5)
A. Negative -- If you don't repent, Jesus will rebuke you.
B. 3 Positive
i. They will walk with Him in white.
ii. Jesus will not blot out their names from the Book of Life.
iii, Jesus will confess their name.
- The city of Sardis was captured because the people had fallen asleep.
- Hobby Lobby and Pastor Saeed as examples of awake people.
- "We tied a knot in the rope of Faith and held on."
- "If they won't come to your church, bring your church to them."
- To know what is right, but not not do it and compromise: "is very dangerous."
- "I'm telling you: REPENT, turn towards Jesus Christ and He will do ABSOLUTE miracles in your life."