"Every one of the builders had his sword girded at his side as he built. And the one who sounded the trumpet was beside me."
Jonathan Stickland, Lone Star Gun Rights, and Texas Firearms Celebrity Michael Cargill held a press conference yesterday afternoon to discuss where things stand related to constitutional carry; they were also joined by State Reps Tony Tinderholt, Kyle Biedermann,and Mike Lang:
- Michael Cargill:
- Texas should modernize its 1871 era gun laws.
- Jonathan Stickland:
- New support this session that didn't exist two years ago.
- Wrong to make people pay to excise rights.
- Members have been hearing from constituents.
- New Democrat support; D's may not agree with #2A, but do agree that protectionist licensing harms our most vulnerable citizens.
- Tony Tinderholt:
- Part of the RPT platform.
- Justin Delosh:
- Texas is middle of the pack, at best, on guns.
- 11 states already have constitutional carry.
- Last people said the votes didn't exist for licensed open carry but it ultimately ended up passing; there's still plenty of time for the same thing to happen this session re: Constitutional carry.
- #1 RPT platform plank.
- House leadership will be overwhelmed with public support.
- This doesn't effect the process by which guns are sold one iota.
- Tom Mechler put out an e-mail saying he supports it.
- CHL is de facto gun owner registration.
- Threatening letters only re-enforce need for #2A.
- Grassroots agitation has reached the point where the political self-preservation instinct of members is kicking in.
- There's a disconnect between the courageous men and women of law enforcement who serve our communities and the "law enforcement" industrial complex at the Capitol.