"Dishonest scales are an abomination to the Lord,
But a just weight is His delight."
Opponents of the Austin Rail boondoggle held their first press conference this morning. To our knowledge, KEYE, KXAN, and Time Warner were present. Cahnman's Musings presents the entirety of the prepared remarks.
Jim Skaggs; COST AUSTIN:
- Rail will dramatically increase congestion.
- Forms a barrier wall in the middle of central Austin.
- Only 6,500 new transit trips per day out of 8 million total in Austin roadways.
- 99% of all trips in the region will continue to be by road.
- MoPac expansion, 290, and 183A move 500,000 people per day for same cost.
- Any rail/road combination will place roads 2nd.
- Vote against ANY proposal that includes rail.
Roger Falk; Travis County Taxpayers Union:
- Misleaders are out again.
- This $1.4 billion only covers a small section on a long term plan.
- "Our taxes are pricing people out of their homes now."
- "This silly little trolley" won't help "if you're sitting in traffic on 360."
- Take the lights off of 360 and 183.
- There's no Federal dollars committed.
- If the GOP takes over the U.S. Senate this fall, the Federal $ could dry up.
- Personal Note: Roger doesn't know this, but your humble author has already held preliminary discussions with staff members from Texas' Congressional delegation about cutting off Federal Funding for this project.
Bill Oakley; AustinAffordability.com:
- Rail for Sale -- Sold to various special interests and paid for by taxpayers.
- Sweetheart real estate deals on East Riverside.
- Gigantic Boondoggle for UT
- Massive Taxpayer expenditure to help Med School employees commute.
- Money laundering costs thru Austin Energy and Austin Water Utility.