"No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment. If he does, the patch tears away from it, the new from the old, and a worse tear is made. And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the wine will burst the skins—and the wine is destroyed, and so are the skins. But new wine is for fresh wineskins.”
Capital Factory, Austin -- Senator Cruz addressed the central economic questions of the next decade at an Austin-based start up incubator today:
- His first job was in the tech industry working for his father.
- The internet has been transformational in terms of speech.
- "Don't mess with the internet."
- The worst thing that could happen to the internet would be for politicians to come in and regulate it.
- First Principle: No internet sales tax.
- "A perfect storm of Washington lobbyists."
- Supported by big retail.
- "That is a terrible idea."
- Second Principle: Stop foreign governments form censoring the internet.
- Don't hand the internet off to an international cartel.
- Third Principle: Stop the Federal government from excessively regulating online.
- We would quickly come to regret that decision.
- Rotary phones regulated; smartphones not.
- Taxi's vs. Uber and Lyft.
- "This whole net neutrality fight is a fight between big boys."
- "It's not a good thing when the Federal government comes in and dictates pricing and terms of service."
- Fourth Principle: Our constitutional rights don't end when we go online.
- Pass a permanent ban on internet access taxes.
- There's a lot more big companies on the other side of the net neutrality debate than there are on his.
- Quotes scripture to make an economic point to a room full of tech people.
- Personal Note: How I LOVE this man!!!