"I, John, both your brother and companion in the tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet, saying, 'I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last,' and, 'What you see, write in a book and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia: to Ephesus, to Smyrna, to Pergamos, to Thyatira, to Sardis, to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.' "
Pastor Danny Forshee. Great Hills Baptist Church. February 23, 2014:
- Identification ("I, John")
- God entrusted the Mother of Jesus to this man and now He's entrusting the future of the world.
- Kingdom - The reign and rule of Jesus Christ.
- 2 Timothy 3:12 - "Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution."
- "In the spirit on the Lord's day" (ie. Sunday)
- Norton Study Bible on v9: "Enduring Trials that come our way is a prerequisite for reigning with Christ."
- Ibid: "Although John had been exiled in an effort to silence the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ...his witness continued with the writing of Revelation."
- Polemicism is about going on offense.
- Unless God sends a spiritual revival, we are due for some judgement.
- "If you are a follower of Jesus Christ, this is the most exciting time ever to be alive."
- "If Jesus...allows us to go through hard times, then I want to be faithful."
- John: is NOT suffering for God because he did something wrong.
- John was "humble and approachable"
- If you have arrogance issues, God's gonna pass you by....
- The thing God uses powerfully is a humble and broken spirit.
- We WILL fellowship together during our Tribulations.
- One of the most common bonding experiences among God's people.
- John is neither above us or below us; he's our brother.
- When you take a strong stand for the Gospel, you WILL suffer.
- "Christianity moves on the knees of prayer and the legs of DOGGED persistence."
- "You need to know His as your friend before you HAVE to know Him as your judge."