"The righteous is delivered from trouble,
And it comes to the wicked instead."
Maura Phelan spoke to the Central Texas Republican Assembly last night about the the DA's race:
- Travis county DA has civil divisions that handle mental health and child removal situations.
- "Those two divisions in our DA's office are completely underserved."
- 1 prosecutor for 10,000 cases.
- 30% of our jail population is mental health issues.
- "This is very expensive."
- "Our District Attorney's office has no standards for plea bargains."
- "This is why we have a huge disparity in sentences for people with the same offense and the same background....THAT'S GOTTA CHANGE!"
- "I'm getting a lot of support from...the East side."
- "A lot of support from formerly incarcerated persons who can vote and who want to help because they want to see this change."
- It's been 30 years since the D candidate has been in courtroom.
- "The last time she represented the state in a felony offense...was when I wan in junior high and the last last time she was a misdemeanor prosecutor when she was county attorney was when I was an undergrad."