"But the former governors who were before me laid burdens on the people, and took from them bread and wine, besides forty shekels of silver. Yes, even their servants bore rule over the people, but I did not do so, because of the fear of God."
Lt. Governor Patrick testified at a Senate hearing on Property taxes last week:
- "You say you have police issues and court issues, how 'bout the people who live in your district who have lost their job?!?"
- Real people have issues, judge, and they have to live within their means."
- "There's a lot of confusion, members, some of it planted by consultants and lobbyists about what we're attempting to do."
- "I've seen the e-mails' where taxpayer funded lobbyists are telling local officials no to compromise.
- 84% of Texans approved property tax relief constitutional amendment last fall; imagine what we could do for more substantial reform.
- "Ignore your consultants and your lobbyists, who make three and four and five hundred thousand dollars per year and do not have the best interest of your constituents at heart."
- "If you take the position that says no, we're not going to negotiate, we're not going to compromise, then you will have missed the train that's already leaving the station and don't complain."