TPPF Policy Orientation Panel: Administrative Bloat: Enemy of the $10,000 degree
Rep. Jim Murphy (HD 143); Ron Trowbridge (Lone Star College); Raymund Paredes (Texas Higher Ed. Coordinating Board)
- Administration has mushroomed at the expense of everything else
- Up 85% over past 20 years.
- Tuition is up over 400% in the past 20.
- Student loan debt is now higher than CC debt.
- Universities are still spending more on admin than instruction by a long shot.
- In Texas, tuition is up 99% in ten years
- 3rd Party payment: Students are rarely directly responsible for the cost of their own education, which leaves little incentive to minimize cost.
- Murphy: Higher education requires non-consumer generated revenue to balance the books.
- Get ready for much greater taxpayer commitment unless we address costs.
- Trowbridge: How to cut college costs and improve the quality of education.
- If modern technology allows people to take courses from a variety of sources, what will colleges become?!?
- What can't go on forever, won't.
- Adapt or die; become cost effective.
- Self-Preservation: Business-as-usual HATES competition.
- Choice will save students $$$
- Paredes: UT-Austin has eliminated hundreds of positions.