"Dishonest scales are an abomination to the Lord,
But a just weight is His delight."
Following the Kroll report, Mr. McRaven commissioned a "blue ribbon panel" to investigate the U.T's admissions practices; they reported back at today's regents meeting:
- McRaven will make his full recommendations at the August meeting.
- (Former U.T. President) Larry Faulkner chaired it, which means it's a joke.
- No firewall between the University President and admissions.
- In limited cases, President should be able to overrule admissions committee
- Prez will report on these cases once a year to the Chancellor.
- Author's Note: Who, of course, will do nothing.
- Letters: Undue influence = Coercion.
- No "sharply restrictive" policies on letters.
- No open records for admissions data.
- Blah, blah, FERPA, blah, blah.
- Abandon admissions holds.
- Author's Note: Essentially, create a new system for business as usual.
- Process is inherently subjective.
- Wallace Hall: "How is it ever acceptable" for someone to gain admission via proximity to the university President or the right legislator?!?
- "President is the ultimate admissions officer."
- Act all butt-hurt that Jim Pitts' incompetent son Ryan's 155 LSAT score became public
The statesman has a detailed write up here.
Bottom Line: Any allegedly new admissions policy based upon the premise that the university "President is the ultimate admissions officer" is, by definition, a farce.