"The hypocrite with his mouth destroys his neighbor,
But through knowledge the righteous will be delivered."
Blackwell-Thurman Criminal Justice Center -- This afternoon, Governor Perry appeared at the Travis County Justice center. He was met by several hundred passionate supporters. The backlash against Travis County Democrats' partisan assault on the rule of law is obvious:
- "I'm here today because I believe in the rule of law. "
- "I'm going to enter this courthouse with my head held high knowing the actions that I took were not only lawful and legal, but right."
- "If I had to do so, I would veto funding for the Public Integrity Unit again."
- "This issue is far bigger than me; it's about the rule of law, it's about the constitution that allows, not just a Governor, but allows every citizen to speak their mind free of political interference or legal intimidation."
- "This indictment is nothing short of an attack on the Constitutional powers of the Office of Governor...and I will not allow this attack on our system of government to stand."
- "It is our system of constitutional checks and balances that is being challenged here today."
- "This prosecution would seek to erode the power of all Texas Governors, Republican or Democrat, to veto legislation and funding they deem inappropriate; it is a chilling restraint on the right of free speech."
- "The actions that I took were lawful, they were legal, and they were proper."
- Dems: "Seek to acheieve at the courthouse what could not be achieved at the Ballot box."
- "We don't resolve political disputes or policy differences by indictments."
Update: Looks like the guv has also released this video: