"Wisdom is the principal thing;
Therefore get wisdom.
And in all your getting, get understanding."
The Texas Public Policy Foundation opened its new building with a fantastic primer on entrepreneurship; this author especially appreciated the discussion of Biblical financial principles and the role they played in building the businesses.
- Insurance companies were pulling out of the medical industry in Texas.
- "I was just offended."
- "Then I became really passionate about school choice."
- "Two years later we went public and I owned 98% of the stock."
- "The schools today are as bad as they were 26 years ago."
- "I was very much aware of the Depression."
- "I always hustled for the use of time."
- "I never was money hungry, but I never was opposed to carrying around a little either."
- "I know how to win, I expect to win, and most of the time I do win."
- Most great things in the world are driven by entrepreneurs.
- Do what you're currently doing really well and you'll be noticed.
- "When you say you're a Christian company, you've got to act like one."
- "It took us seven years to earn our first million dollars, but the Bible says that which is grown slowly is grown successfully."
- Never borrowed money until later.
- Fracking is more like mining for oil and gas than drilling.
- When you start something, have a plan.
- Turn hard times into good times.
- "The harder you work, the luckier you get."
- "Only those who are doing things are making mistakes."
- McCombs: "If you're going to be in the field, Texas is the best place to be."
- The easy way out is never the best way.
- Christians tend to be harder working and more reliable than most people.
- If you follow tithing carefully, you'll be blessed.
- Tithing is foundational.
- Opportunity knocks by the week, the key is to pick the right one.
- "The hardest time in the world to get a job is when you're out of a job."