“To the angel of the church of Ephesus write,
‘These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands: “I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary. Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent. But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.”’
Pastor Danny Forshee. Great Hills Baptist Church. March 16, 2014:
- Exhortation (vv. 4, 5, 7)
- Repeat (Do your first works)
- Paul spent more time in Ephesus than any other city.
- They were so busy defending Jesus they forgot to LOVE Him.
- Your relationship with God is how you avoid becoming a Pharisee.
- Nicolaitians = Bad Teaching + Sexual Immorality.
- "Conquering the laity."
- Jesus HATES their deeds.
- Because they were well versed in doctrine, the Church of Ephesus was able to spot these knuckleheads from afar.
- Doctrine is a good thing.
- If we are not going to be passionate about the things God is passionate about, He'll find someone who is.
- Southern Baptists: "Are a dying denomination, and unless we get back to doing the basics of Preaching the Bible and winning people to Jesus and discipling them, we will be a dead denomination."
- If a Church where Paul, Timothy, and John served can die; any Church can die.
- One of the best ways to keep your heart on fire is to tell people about Jesus.
- "I don't know how the Holy Spirit led me to coagulation."