"When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice;
But when a wicked man rules, the people groan."
This past Monday, the two Republican candidates for Travis County Commissioners Court Precinct 3 (Western Travis County), small businessman Jason Nassour and decade long incumbent Gerald Daugherty, squared off in their first debate; this video speaks for itself:
- Question #1: Affordability/Property Taxes.
- Daugherty: I'm not sure it's going to get better.
- Keep Spending under control (even though he supported the courthouse)
- Nassour: KNEW THE SIZE OF THE BUDGET
- Against Certificates of Obligation.
- Move civil cases to criminal courthouse that sits empty all afternoon.
- Sell county property within city limits and build big county facility FOR CASH in unincorporated area.
- Question #2: Eastside Courthouse.
- Daugherty: Downtown lawyers want the courthouse downtown
- Author's Note: YES, he actually SAID THAT!!!
- Author's Note II: Who cares what the downtown lawyers want?!?
- Certificates of Obligation "are necessary" if used "judiciously."
- Nassour: Great idea to build east.
- "I would not acquiesce" to downtown lawyers.
- "We have assets we can liquidate."
- Ronnie Earle Building: Daugherty tries to deny he made the motion to approve the funds. Nassour calls BS. Nassour points out he's posted the public record to his Facebook page:
- Courthouse: Daugherty tries to claim he's a hero for sending it to the voters in the first place.
- Question 3: County Jail and ICE.
- Nassour: ICE is fine there.
- "If they are unlawfully in this country" we need to detain them.
- Daugherty: Only supporter of Greg Hamilton on current court.
- T.J.: Why haven't we seen you at GOP events?!?
- Daugherty: Attacks TJ and gets defensive.
- Nassour: I was running my business up until a few months ago when I decided to run for office; pledges to attend as many local Republican events as possible in the event he's elected.
- Daughery uses the Bob Bennett excuse to prove his conservative bona fides.
- Our Question: SH 45.
- Daugherty: Ribbon cutting soon.
- Nassour: Gerald's done a good job with that one specific project, but we need a much bigger transportation expansion.
- Should have been an outside lawsuit sooner.
- Final question: Why you?!?
- Nassour: Energy, Drive, Passion
- Daugherty: Experience.