“And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write,
‘These things says the First and the Last, who was dead, and came to life: “I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan. Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.”’
Pastor Danny Forshee. Great Hills Baptist Church. March, 23 2014:
- Identification (v. 8)
A. Angel (Church Pastor)
B. The Church -- BECAUSE they are faithful, they are hated.
C. The City
- Commendation (v. 9)
A. Works -- God takes everything you do for HIS Church personally
- God will NOT give tough assignments to just anyone.
- The Church is growing like CRAZY in North Korea.
- Read The Insanity of God.
- "You'd think the devil would have figured this out after 2000 years."
- re: Body of Christ growing in the face of persecution.
- In the midst of persecution, Jesus will overcome.
- Jesus is right there with you.
- Smyrna was famous for Emperor worship.
- 5 things the early Church was accused of:
- Anytime someone persecutes a believer in Christ, they are working for Satan.
- Belivers in Smyrna could lose their jobs for professing Faith in Christ.