“And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write,
‘These things says He who has the sharp two-edged sword: “I know your works, and where you dwell, where Satan’s throne is. And you hold fast to My name, and did not deny My faith even in the days in which Antipas was My faithful martyr, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells. But I have a few things against you, because you have there those who hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit sexual immorality. Thus you also have those who hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate. Repent, or else I will come to you quickly and will fight against them with the sword of My mouth.
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.”’
Pastor Danny Forshee. Great Hills Baptist Church. April 27, 2014:
- Exhortation (v. 14-15)
A. The Doctrine of Balaam (Sexual immorality and food sacrificed to idols).
B. The Doctrine of the Nicolaitians
2 Corinthians 6:14-18
- Command (v. 16): REPENT!!!
- Promise (v. 17)
A. The Hidden Manna
B. A White Stone (Innocent verdict)
C. A new name.
- This was the day Ken Paxton visited Great Hills.
- We're supposed to worship God with our mind.
- The church at Pergamum was birthed by Paul.
- Satan knows the weakness of any Church.
- Bad compromise - Knowing something is wrong and doing it anyway.
- The Doctrine of Balaam.
- Alcohol and loose women will wear them down until they start worshiping false gods
- God killed 24,000 Israelites when it happened in Numbers.
- The Doctrine of the Nicolaitans.
- You are free to live as you jolly-well please.
- Today's non-confrontational Church is repeating the mistakes of Pergamum.
- If you do what's right, Jesus is gonna take care of you.
- Don't waste time eating food sacrificed to idols.
- Jesus can give us far more than whatever we think we can gain from compromise.