“And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write,
‘These things says He who has the sharp two-edged sword: “I know your works, and where you dwell, where Satan’s throne is. And you hold fast to My name, and did not deny My faith even in the days in which Antipas was My faithful martyr, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells. But I have a few things against you, because you have there those who hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit sexual immorality. Thus you also have those who hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate. Repent, or else I will come to you quickly and will fight against them with the sword of My mouth.
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.”’
Pastor Danny Forshee. Great Hills Baptist Church. April 13, 2014:
- Identification (v. 12)
A. The City -- Pergamos
- Lots of Pagan Temples; 3 for emperor worship alone!
- Capital City
- Similar to Austin
B. Christ -- Self- Revelation.
- Commendation (v. 13)
A. Works -- Good Deeds.
B. Dwelling -- Hostile, Pagan place.
i. "You hold fast to MY name."
ii. "Did not deny MY faith."
- This sermon was originally preached on Palm Sunday.
- John pre-supposes you know your Old Testament.
- "Them demonic spiders come out of the wood work whenever you preach on Revelation."
- Church at Pergamos had people in the congregation they refused to discipline.
- During the middle ages, the Church became VERY compromised.
- If God does a Good Work in your life, gossip about the gospel.
- "The things that have God in them are the things that last."
- Jesus is attracted to commitment and endurance.
- Don't quit; keep doing the right thing until God intervenes.
- "Our greatest challenge in the Church in America today is theological heresy and sexual promiscuity."