"Therefore by their fruits you will know them".
Cahnman's Musings spoke with Ken Paxton this morning; listen to the recording below:
Loading the player ...
- When Obama came into office changed from focusing on state issues to having to deal with a lot of Federal Issues.
- "I felt compelled by that cause, the Tenth Amendment, [that] has become much more relevant to the states over the past six years."
- Will not back down from Tenth Amendment issues even if there's a Republican President.
- "The Tenth Amendment is critical to the way that our country was designed to operate."
- "The only good thing Obama has brought about has been the impetus for states to begin to assert the Tenth Amendment."
- "Transparency and Accountability are important in every aspect of government"
- Passed legislation to put all state contracts online.
- A.G.'s job is to follow and implement laws so: "I'll do whatever I can with the laws that are available to me to make sure that there is transparency at the University of Texas and anywhere in government."
- "If anyone is getting in that isn't qualified, then I think that's an abuse of the process and I think it needs to be looked into and I think people need to be held accountable, and I think we need to stop the process."
- "I think it's key that legislators, just like everyone else, follow whatever the normal process is...to go and abuse your power to go around the system, I think that's a problem."
- Local Government Debt: "We will carefully review and make sure that the law is being followed and that they're complying with everything they're supposed to comply with under state law."
- "I've been a big proponent of the SBOE maintaining its independence."
- Donor Intimidation: "I think it's a real problem, I think it's a constitutional problem if the Texas Ethics Commission does it, just like if the legislature does it, you're going to run into constitutional issues of Free Speech; it would be difficult for an Attorney General to defend something like that that I believe is unconstitutional."
- "I would definitely encourage them [the T.E.C] not to do it, because it will only lead to more controversy and will be found to be a problem."