"When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice;
But when a wicked man rules, the people groan."
Sun City, TX -- Yesterday, Scott Turner spoke twice in Northern Williamson County. He laid out his agenda and heart for the future of Texas. We attended the afternoon session:
Free Music - Play Audio - 10/20/2014 -- Scott Turner G...
- When complacency sets in, it'll rob you.
- We need Texas to be #1 in all areas.
- "We have the opportunity in Texas to do monumental things; but right now, with 95 Republicans and 55 Democrats, it is a monumental struggle to get conservative, free-enterprise minded, legislation on the floor."
- 3 Factions in the Texas House: Conservative R's, Liberal R's, D's.
- Pro-Life legislation should not take two special sessions to pass.
- #NerdAlert: Move from strategies based budgeting to program based budgeting.
- Less room for shenanigans.
- "The speaker sets the chairmanships; the speaker sets the legislative agenda and priorities."
- Under current leadership, good legislation is dying in committee "because of special interests."
- "That celebrity thing, ask my wife, it's fleeting....we're servants!!!"
- Some members are more concerned with the position they hold than being courageous.
- Praying for us is most helpful.
- "That vote on the floor is going to be very liberating because now, you see, there's no more smoke and mirrors, no more 'I would vote for him but...'."
- Reps can no longer hide under the radar.
- Gives a civics lesson on how speaker is elected: "We are going to have a vote on the floor."
- "No more backroom deals, no more smoke and mirrors."
- "Both sides want a vote on the floor for different reasons."
- Supports ending in-state tuition for illegals.
- There's a lot of inefficiencies in TxDOT but no accountability.
- Regarding backroom deal-making: "As the sixth most conservative member of the Texas House, I was not a party to those discussions."
- "We have a lot of members who are willing to call for a record vote."
- "They can't put me on a bad committee, because whatever committee they put me on, I'm going to make it better."