"You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."
At a press conference Thursday, Ted Cruz stood with the Pastors of Houston against the unprecedented attack on religious liberty coming from Mayor Annise Parker:
- Today, we all stand united in defense of religious liberty.
- We've seen, in recent years, an indefensible assault on religious liberty.
- The IRS has no business asking any American the content of our prayers.
- We've seen the religious liberty of men and women of our military under assault, as soldiers and sailors and airmen and marines are told if you share your faith with another soldier you risk discipline.
- The city of Houston has no power, no legal authority, to silence the Church.
- "Caeser has no jurisdiction over the pulpit!!!"
- "When you subpoena one Pastor, you subpoena every pastor."
- "Part of me is very, very glad...that the city of Houston is interested in reading sermons."
- Encourage Houstonians to "lift up our city in prayer."