"Open your mouth, judge righteously,
And plead the cause of the poor and needy."
Stephen F. Austin Hotel -- TPPF's is Prosperity and Poverty summit continues; the second panel is on public policies than help move people from poverty to prosperity:
Broadcast live streaming video on Ustream
- Chuck Devore (TPPF):
- Poverty rate is based on cost of food, which has come down over 50 years.
- Factored for cost of living, California has the highest poverty rate in country.
- Texas lowest among big states.
- Texas has more jobs and lowest poverty among big states
- Go figure.
- Jeff Rowes (Institute for Justice):
- 30% of Americans need permission from the government to work.
- In the real world, special interests with time and money bend the rules to their advantage
- eg. African hair braiders and Steel Tariffs
- State of Louisiana shutting down monks making caskets.
- Public action for private profit is illegitimate, and it's not judicial activism for courts to strike it down.
- Appoint judges who understand this and change the culture of judges.
- The reason courts allow this is to avoid the government embarrassment.
- The free-market and economic liberty is the greatest anti-poverty program ever known.
- Marvin Olasky:
- The Sharing economy is template for connecting those with needs and those with means
- Breaks down professional/amateur divide.
- Charitable equivalent of Air B'N'B
- 84th #TXLEGE:
- School choice for all children
- Eliminate Margins Tax
- Economic Liberty legislation
- Give people the economic means to free up time for volunteer activity.