"Deliver the poor and needy;
Free them from the hand of the wicked."
Texas State Capitol -- The Texas Electronic privacy coalition, in conjunction with Texans for Accountable Government, held a legislative training tonight on legislation that would force police to obtain a warrant before obtaining cell phone geo-location data; Scott Henson of the Texas Criminal Justice coalition outlined the situation this session:
- Technology has outpaced statute.
- Last session, warrants for e-mail searches got passed.
- First in the nation.
- Overwhelming majority of abuses happen at the state and local level.
- Politics of this bill are extremely favorable right now.
- Praised elimination of 2/3rds rule.
- Federal Law = Swiss Cheese.
- Because it's a border state, Texas has a lot of the toughest cases.
- More optimistic about the Texas Senate: "By a long shot."
- "I'm hoping we successfully peel off the prosecutors."
Videos from the rest of the training here.