"and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel,"
Life, Liberty, and Property coalition held their second "First Amendment Tuesday" this morning:
Michael Quinn Sullivan (Empower Texans):
Tony McDonald (Empower Texans):
- Lege rules are designed to protect the minority and public.
- "If it doesn't seem fair, it very well might not be."
- The only part of the rules that apply to the public is "decorum."
- A lobbyist is a hired gun, engaged citizens are not lobbyists.
- 2 ways to get classified as a lobbyist:
- Spend too much $$$ (don't give gifts to legislators or staff)
- Communicating with legislators on behalf of someone for $$$
- "There are people who do not like engaged citizens."
- If you want to have a legislator file a bill, now is the time to get on it.
- Straus has, in the past, "perfectly carved out" meaningful participation by conservatives.
- Keep an eye on what happens to Turner voters and Straus voting "conservatives."
- Don't be surprised if some of them get chairmanships for show while the composition of the committee makes their chairmanship functionally meaningless; a la Dan Flynn on the impeachment committee.
Emily Kebodeaux (Texas Right to Life):
- Know who your Rep. and Senator are.
- Call ahead if you know that you are coming.
- Meet in the afternoon; after the legislator is done on the floor but before committee hearings.
- Ask the staffer to "walk you down to the floor."
- Know what issue you're talking about.
- Visit your legislator even if you disagree.
Ann Hettinger (Concerned Women for America):
- CWA will highlight a bill every week.
- SB 171 (Huffman): Increases penalties for Human smuggling.
- CWA has a list of legislators by hall.
Cathie Adams (Texas Eagle Forum):
- Constitutional carry (SB 342) just got referred to Senate State Affairs.
- SB 115 (V. Taylor) -- DeLink judicial and legislative retirement.
- SB 340 (Huffines) -- Getting rid of red light camera.
Jeremy Newman (Texas Homeschool Coalition):
- Texas is in the minority of states that don't allow homeschoolers to participate in athletics.
- Parental Rights (HB 529, SB 414)
- Usually happens when there's bad blood.
- Typically, single parents run out of money to fight.
- Main opponent: "Family Law Foundation."
- Family law attorney's make money when these cases drag out.
Jonathan Saenz (Texas Values):
- Faith and Family Day February 24th
- Noon rally on the South Steps
- HB 623 (Bell):
- County clerks willing to take the law into their own hands.
- Cuts off state funding for local governments that issue homosexual 'marriage' licenses
- 33 authors and co-authors so far.
- Texas Supreme Court currently pressured to grant homosexual 'divorces.'
- We're not going to know about the U.S. Supreme Court until after the session ends.
- Religious Liberty Amendment:
- HB 537 (Anchia) -- Oppose.
- Stikes out father and mother on birth certificates and replaces them with "Parent #1" and "Parent #2"