"The wicked man does deceptive work,
But he who sows righteousness will have a sure reward."
Texas State Capitol -- Earlier today, Governor Abbott gave his State of the State address. It was a VERY mixed bag. While it started out badly, it got substantially better in the second half. Governor Abbott designated 5 emergency legislative items: Pre-K, pork for University "research," transportation, border security, and bolstering ethical standards. Of these items, 3 are good, 1 is bad but basically harmless, and one is AWFUL. Abbott's speech below:
- School Choice - Speaks about it favorably (and more openly than Perry ever did), but doesn't make it emergency legislation.
- Transportation - Dedicate half of the motor vehicle sales tax to construction.
- THIRD EMERGENCY ITEM.
- While we would prefer to have heard about reform of TxDOT, but this was a completely reasonable proposal.
- Border Security - Expand DPS at the border; keep National Guard in place until DPS is ready.
- FOURTH EMERGENCY ITEM.
- Clear rebuke of Straus.
- "Permanently Reduce" (NOT eliminate) margins tax.
- Property Taxes -- Must be LASTING.
- Cannot rise with valuations.
- CONSTITUTIONAL SPENDING LIMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Author's Note: But will he fight for this any harder than Perry did?!?
- Assuming you hold all the R's (not a given on something like this), you still need two D's in each the House and Senate to place it on the ballot.
- Requiring state agencies to reduce "general revenue" spending by at least 3%
- Exempts Public & Higher Ed, which is 60% of the budget by itself.
- Ethics Reform -- Disclosing contracts with state agencies.
- Not letting legislators vote on bills they can personally benfit from.
- Author's Note: Lookin' at you Jim Keffer.
- Geren's carrying it.
- FIFTH EMERGENCY ITEM.
- Half billion for Higher Education "Research"
- SECOND EMERGENCY ITEM.
- Translation: Pork for University Administrators.
- "Supporting Community Colleges."
- More funding for "women's health programs."