"and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel,"
Life, Liberty, and Property coalition held their second "First Amendment Tuesday" this morning:
Tony McDonald (Empower Texans) (Partial):
- Review of "lobbying" rules.
- Defeated attempt to expand the impeachment committee.
- Good changes for conservatives in House rules.
- Biggest change was 2/3rds rule in Senate.
- Rumor mill says House committee assignments will come out at the end of this week.
- Pressure the Lite Guv to refer Constitutional carry to state affairs committee rather than Criminal Jurisprudence.
- No good piece of legislation passes automatically.
- Members care more about what their constituents think than "advocates."
- We can have a civil relationship with people with whom we disagree.
- Staff is important.
- Explain why you care about the issue.
- Keep literature to ONE PAGE.
- Don't trust staffers to take good notes.
- Beware of delay tactics that offices use:
- They don't want to commit on bills.
- Office Tour
- Life Stories: Theirs or Yours.
- If legislators refuse to commit, ask them what they need then follow up.
Ann Hettinger (Concerned Women for America -- Texas):
- CWA has prayer chapters all around the state.
- Capitol Library on second floor will print out bills.
Cathie Adams (Texas Eagle Forum):
- Reassembling a coalition has been the most effective thing we've done in a long time.
- Legislators tie their retirements to district judges.
- Slush funds.
- HB 562 (Leach) - American Laws for American Courts.
- HB 623 (Bell) - Marriage Bill
- This has already been decided by the people of Texas.
David Walls (Texas Values):
- Loosely related to Focus on the Family.
- Life, Marriage, and Religious Liberty.
- Faith and Family Day February 24th.
- Religious Liberty Amendment (SJR 10)
- Our guys need encouragement.
Jeremy Newman (Texas Homeschool Coalition):
- They deal closely with Parental Rights issues.
- Tim Tebow bill.
- "Child Possession" loophole.
- Possible Parental rights amendment.
- Aycock sat on Tebow bill last session.
Dustin Matocha (Empower Texans):
- Constitutional Spending Limit.
- Zero based budgeting.
- Eliminate Margins Tax.