"So he called him and said to him, ‘What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your stewardship, for you can no longer be steward.’"
[Author's Note: Unfortunately, the stream of the speech can't be embedded on other websites, but you can view the archive here; scroll down to the livestream, click 'watch archive', click 'Thursday 1/08/2015 7:25 AM, Abbott's speech starts at approximately the 1h 30min mark]
Greg Abbott outlined his priorities for the upcoming legislative session yesterday at TPPF's Policy Orientation conference. As stated above, we can't put video on this website. That beings said, here are the highlights:
- I will not allow Texas to become complacent.
- Author's Note: Who else is saying that?!?
- Speed up permitting process; Texas losing opportunities to Louisiana because their permitting process takes less time.
- Reduce business licensing requirements.
- Cites Hair-braiding case.
- Replace sunset commission with a citizen's commission on government waste.
- Smack down property rights infringement at the local level.
- "We must reduce the tax burden on our citizens."
- Author's note: This better mean some combination of margins and property tax relief; if the House tries to pull the same shenanigans they pulled last session, there'll be heck to pay (heck I tell ya)!!!
- "We must build more roads in this state.
- "We must improve our schools."
- Spending - Reduce the addiction to spending among policymakers in this state.