"You have set all the borders of the earth;
You have made summer and winter."
Texas State Capitol - In one of the worst choreographed events this author has ever seen in politics, supporters of in-state tuition for illegals held a press conference this afternoon:
State Rep. Ana Hernandez (D - Houston)
- Was personally illegal until Reagan's amnesty in 1986.
- "DREAMer" from North Texas
State Rep. Rafael Anchia (D - Dallas)
- "This is good policy."
- Affirms "Young people who played by the rules."
- Author's Note: Irony noted.
- With Obama's amnesty we have to do this.
- "Attacking some of the most vulnerable people in our society."
- Author's note: The irony would be hilarious if it weren't so tragic.
Bill Hammond (Texas Association of Business)
- Moral imperative to educate all children.
- Illegals deserve in-state tuition "perhaps more than other Texans."
Skyler Korgel (Some dude)
- Confuses Dewhurst and Patrick.
- Message to Stickland et. al: We'll lobby against the bill.
- Celia Israel filed a bill to allow illegals to get occupational licenses
Miguel Solis (Dallas ISD)
- In state tuition gives Hispanic children "hope."
- "Dallas ISD stands with" illegals.
- Sister was raped and murdered.
- Went to college on in-state tuition.
- "Don't take my life away again."
SBOE Member Erica Beltran (D - Dallas)
- "Transformative power of Education"
- Most of her family works for government.
Jose Luis Zelaya
- Something, something, sob story, education.
- Pursuing Phd. in "Urban Education" (whatever the heck that is)
- Education = "Basic Human Right."
- In state tuition = "Human Dignity"
State Rep. Roberto Alonzo (D - Dallas)
- "Everybody came here except the Native Americans."
State Rep. Ramon Romero (D - Ft. Worth)
- Said something in Spanish.
Ft. Worth City Council guy
- He was brought to U.S. illegally.
- First person in his family to attend college.
State Rep Armando Walle (D - Houston)
- "I too am a son of immigrants."
- Straw man argument about "hateful rhetoric."
- Calls opposition to in-state tuition "ungodly."
- Tried to redefine issue as being about "geography" instead of "politics."
- Ending in-state tuition unfair.