"Do not remove the ancient landmark,
Nor enter the fields of the fatherless;"
Because, yah, this isn't controversial:
- Situation in South Texas is "terrible"
- Washington D.C. created this problem and they're the only ones who can solve it.
- It's one of their enumerated powers in the Constitution.
- "The Feds owe us a half a Billion dollars (at least)."
- Border security and immigration policy are related, but they're different animals.
- "The rule of law has been abandoned in the United States."
- If we continue to degrade the rule of law, we're going to end up with the same problems they have in Europe.
- DPS is just as vulnerable as Border Patrol.
- State presence helps, but it's still wide open on the border.
- Eliminate every single magnet that attracts illegals
- Including repeal of In-State tuition
- "It is time for Republicans to either put up or shut up and go home."
Alex Nowrasteh (Cato Institute):
- Current immigration mess was designed by labor unions.
- There is no green card available for a low skilled worker to come legally unless they're closely related to an American citizen.
- Three actions Texas Can Take
- Welfare Reform
- E-verify - Expensive, inefficient, and not particularly effective
- If it works, it hurts the economy; if it doesn't work, it hurts the economy.
- Guest worker visas
- You can't regulate a black market.
- Proposing "Texas Border Patrol" next session.
- Immigration will take care of itself down the line, but for now the focus is on Border Security.